HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Wireless GPS Receiver Review.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Wireless GPS Receiver Review.   Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:58 pm

It's a tiny bluetooth GPS receiver that i bought from Mobile Fun Ltd, I bought this to plug to my O2 XDA 2i PDA also it cost around £ fourty. I was intially seeking on google for cheap GPS receivers of which this came up as the least expensive. I thought at that price will have them a catch, and the actual catch usually being poor performance, but I was pleasantly impressed! This thing really does work, and works well!
After searching for initial reviews about this device I found very little other compared to the reviews from Mobile Wonderful Ltd, which I was unwilling to trust for concern with them being somewhat biased. As i thought for £ 40 I'll relax and take a chance and so bought it, all credit to Mobile Fun the receiver arrived the actual next morning. Upon opening the box I was some disappointed, all the there was by instructions was a tiny sheet of paper that had been loosely translated from Japanese to English by way of a dyslexic toddler. You can download anyone manual from here and also the Tomtom pairing manual because of here. After following these instructions you'll get it set up immediately. Another thing I noticed was there's no manufaturer's name or marks anywhere about the device or the the labels, which makes searching for support quite difficult.
A nice touch with this little device is it's supplied with a battery power that is common to several Nokia phones (3. 7V 850mAh Li-polymer solar battery, BL-5C), a quick search on ebay means which you could get replacement batteries for these receivers for about £ 4 which is good to recognise should you need a particular.
What's In The Box?
Bluetooth GPS Receiver x1 12v In Car Adapter (USB) x1 Simple Instructions x1 Battery x1 UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS Charging Cable x1
Setup
Provided you follow the limited instructions for pairing with each of your device, and the Tomtom setup instructions, you should be all set in less than 5 units. I have only charged the receiver once since i bought it about a couple of months ago, the battery just has a tendency to last forever! The supplied in automotive charger and USB cable implies that the receiver can be charged going out from a 12v source and will also be charged from any SYSTEM or laptop. From cold start the receiver aquires any usuable GPS signal exremely instantly, quicker than most of the really expensive GPS receivers that I've are in contact with. The device is extremely small and may easily fit into any space in your car, or even your pocket for anyone who is using it for going for walks or cycling.
One small problem I did so have is that when utilizing it with my XDA 2i the actual Tomtom software would quite often freeze and cause me to stop the car, reboot the phone, then carry on my journey. At first I thought this was the results of the XDA losing its connection with the bluetooth receiver and therefore confirming my fears about the expense of this product. It quickly became clear that this was incorrect and it was in fact an issue with my PDA and also Tomtom software.
I quickly discovered a workaround for this purpose issue between the Tomtom software package and my XDA that enables the whole system to work flawlessly. I shall write a 'how to' in this particular workaround shortly as I believe many other XDA 2i users share the same problem.
I do know that there are a known issue when working with any bluetooth GPS receivers with the O2 XDA 2 (note not XDA 2i) because of the bluetooth stack settings which were shipped with the cellphone, please be aware of this before buying this device when sure to encounter trouble.
Key Features
Compatible along with TomTom, Navicore, and all major GPS computer applications. 12 parallel satellite-tracking signals for fast acquisition and reacquisition. Provides superior routing performance in city environments. Built-in rechargeable Lithium-polymer battery provides much more than 10 hours of constant use. Unit can be charged while using the included car charger while still being used. Mini-USB charger compatiblty, charge not alone the Bluetooth GPS Receiver but compatible PDAs & Smart Phones considering the same charger. 3 colours Brought about show the status of Bluetooth/GPS/Power activities in this device.
Specifications
GPS phone: L1, C/A code, 12 signals Tracking sensitivity: – 152dBm (average) and better Acquisition sensitivity: – 139dBm (average) and betterTTFF (Time to Very first Fix): Cold Start: 50s (average) and 60s (95% possibility) Comfortable Start: 35s (average) and 40s (95% possibility) Warm Start: 2s (minimum) and 6s (95% possibility) Location accuracy: Standard Positioning Support (SPS), WAAS (optional) 2DRMS: around. 5m Measurement data result: Update time: 1 moment NMEA output protocol: Versus. 3. 01 Baud speed: 38400 bps (8-N-1) Datum: WGS-84 Category: GGA, GSA, GSV, RMC Potential consumption: 75mA (average) Wireless: Bluetooth version 1. three compliant Class 2 operation (up to 10 metre range) Serial Slot Profile (SPP) Output incurable: Type B Mini-USB (TTL Level) Antenna Kind: Built in Patch Antenna Battery: 3. 7V 850mAh Li-polymer solar battery, built-in charger LED: Potential (red), GPS (green), Wireless (blue) Dimension: 64(L) a 39(W) x18. 5(H) mm Using temperature: -20° C ~ +60° K Storage temperature: -20° K ~ +60° C; Solar battery: -20° C ~ +45° K
Conclusion
A great little system that performs well beyond its range of prices. Check if there is any known issues with your device and bluetooth GPS receivers before purchase as this could save you a lot of head pain. The only thing that lets this product down is a reduction in documentation and online assistance, other than this worthwhile the buy!
<! --StartFragment -->&nbsp; johnsreviews review: 8/10
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thinkpad-t60.forumotion.com

Wireless GPS Receiver Review.
Page 1 of 1